This page was updated on the 8 July
The following guidance is from the Scottish Government and effective from the 10 July 2020. You can read a transcript of the update on the Scottish Government’s website.
Infection rates across Scotland have continued to fall, the Scottish Government have updated their guidance on shielding. This guidance will be effective from Friday 10 July.
Good hand hygiene, physical distancing where recommended and infection control remain vital.
Changes from 10 July
From Friday, if you are shielding, you can:
- stop physically distancing from the people you live with
- Continue to meet in groups of only 8 people, and don’t meet any more than two households each day. Only meet outdoors.
- If you are visiting another household’s outdoor space you can use their toilet.
- You can travel further than 5 miles from your house.
- You can form an extended household – that means, if you’re living alone, or living only with other people who are under 18 years of age, you can join another household. You and the members of that extended household do not need to physically distance from each other, and you can stay the night in each other’s houses if you choose . Households must partner exclusively – you can only form an extended household with one other household and them with you.
- You can book places to stay, such as self-catering accommodation, or travel to a second home, provided neither has shared facilities – with your household or extended household.
- if there are children in your household who are under 12, they no longer need to physically distance from other children outside, as long as they themselves are not shielding.
The Scottish government guidance will be updated with above. You can read the complete Scottish Government Guidance on Shielding on the Scottish Government’s website and the Easy Read summary of the Covid-19 Framework for Decision Making June 2020: Shielding: A way Forward
for Scotland Summary Easy Read.
The national Covid-19 helpline continues to operate. Please contact 0800 111 4000 if you need any support with shielding.
Find more signposting to information and support on Covid-19 on our website, including information on Covid-19 and your health on the NHS Inform’s website, which is available in accessible formats and other languages.