This is a great opportunity for a disabled person (including D/deaf) interested in gaining work experience in the catering industry with Royal Blind at their nursing care home ‘Jenny’s Well’ in Paisley.
Payment: UK Living Wage rate of £9.30 per hour
Accountable to: Chef, Royal Blind, Jenny’s Well
Contract: 420 hours, preference for the hours worked to be between 20-25 per week
Location: Jenny’s Well 196 Hawkhead Road, Paisley, PA2 7BS
Closing date: 10.00 am on Thursday 30 April 2020.
Please note that due to the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) situation recruitment for this internship may be delayed, therefore we are unable to provide an interview date at the moment. We will keep all candidates updated on developments. Please get in touch with the internships team if you have any queries.
For more information on the internship programme (including British Sign Language translation) please click here
If you wish to discuss this opportunity further or need a British Sign Language interpreter to complete an application please get in touch via email email@example.com or via Contact Scotland BSL https://contactscotland-bsl.org/. Inclusion Scotland’s contact number: 0131 370 6708.
Royal Blind is Scotland’s largest charity supporting people with a visual impairment lead fully included and fulfilling lives.
Jenny’s Well offers nursing care to older people with a visual impairment, including those that may have other medical needs such as dementia.
This internship will provide a positive work experience for someone on the We Can Work programme. The aim for Royal Blind is to give the successful candidate the experience, training and confidence to be a valued member of our kitchen team within Jenny’s Well.
Our main kitchen is a modern, large space with standard kitchen appliances both large and small. There are also another six smaller kitchens throughout the other levels of the home, which need to be monitored twice daily.
The main duties of the successful candidate will be to provide a clean, safe and welcoming environment to enable the kitchen and home to function effectively. This role involves a significant amount of time working with hands at kitchen counter level. The successful candidate would also be expected to transport heated trays of food to upstairs units, help serve meals at the 5pm service and help close the kitchen if on the later shift.
Main duties and tasks
• Assist in the preparation of high quality food.
• Clean areas as detailed in the work schedule.
• Assist with the service of meals.
• Clear up/wash up after meals.
• Ensure Food Hygiene and Health & Safety recommendations are complied with.
• Advise the Chef of any concerns in relation to good practice.
• Undertake any such duties as may reasonably be requested
• Maintain confidentiality in all matters relating to residents including their care and welfare, as set out in the Confidentiality Policy.
• Report any malfunction of equipment or fittings that require maintenance or cannot be kept to standard through normal cleaning procedures.
• Be aware of and adhere to the following (full training will be provided on these):
– The relevant health and safety regulations.
– COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) guidelines.
– Infection Control policy. This includes use of personal protective equipment, uniform and jewellery guidelines
– Food Safety guidelines.
– Fire Policy and Evacuation Procedures.
• Maintain confidentiality of information regarding residents, families and friends at all times.
Please note that if you feel the main tasks of the role could be a problem and are unsure about the kinds of reasonable adjustments available contact the internships team by email to discuss further: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essential skills and experience:
1. Good organisational skills
2. Effective team working
3. Willingness and ability to maintain confidentiality
4. Good verbal communication skills
5. Ability to develop good relationships with colleagues
6. Ability to organise time effectively, create work schedules and prioritise workloads
7. Ability to follow instruction and work closely with a supervisor
8. Flexible approach to meal provision to meet resident requests.
9. Experience of working within a team environment
10. Willingness to undertake training
11. Understanding manner towards people
12. Have a clear need for the opportunity, and be able to show how it will help you overcome barriers to achieving your career goals. (this is assessed in the sections motivation for applying, skills development, and current employment status.)
13. Must define as Deaf or disabled which includes physical, sensory and mental impairments, autistic spectrum, learning disabilities, learning difficulties such as dyslexia or long term health conditions. (You do not need to give details in the supporting statement unless you wish to. If you do, this will not be removed from the application before the shortlisting panel sees it.)
To apply for one of the We Can Work Internships you must define as disabled as under the Equality Act 2010 which defines disability as: someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
This may include:
- A physical impairment
- A sensory impairment
- A mental health condition
- A learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
- Learning disability
- Any other disability or impairment
- Diagnosed as HIV positive, or with cancer, multiple sclerosis or other long term chronic condition
- You must also be unemployed, under-employed (meaning that your current employment does not match your skills or required working pattern) and demonstrate a genuine need for the internship opportunity. For more details please see the application pack.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity with the employer prior to submitting your application, please contact: Emma McCabe email@example.com.
Interviews are likely to be held on 4th May 2020.
Completed applications to be forwarded by 10.00 am on Thursday 30 April 2020 to:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
22-24 Earl Grey Street,
Please download and save the following documents:
Job Description: Kitchen Assistant Internship
Candidate Privacy Notice: 2.5 Internship Candidate privacy notice
Equalities Monitoring Form: 2.4 Equalities-Monitoring-Form-2018
Internship Application guidebook: Accessing-Work-Guidebook-PDF