Payment: UK Living Wage rate of £9.50 per hour
Accountable to: Euan’s Guide
Contract: 420 hours, equivalent of 12 weeks full time (35 hours) or 6 months part time
Location: Homeworking and/or Edinburgh office dependent on Government guidance. Office: Codebase, 38 Castle Terrace, Edinburgh, EH3 9DR
Organisation profile: Euan’s Guide is the multiple award-winning disabled access charity. Our core activity is a review website used by disabled people, their friends and families to review, share and discover accessible places. The charity has thousands of disabled access reviews and listings for places all over the UK and beyond.
We are looking for a Communications Assistant Intern to help us with key aspects of our work. Whether that is our award-winning review website, our Red Cord Card campaign to make accessible toilets safer, or our Euan’s Guide Ambassador Network. You’ll mainly be working alongside the Communications Manager but as a small charity you will probably work with everyone in our close-knit team at some point!
Main duties and tasks
Your role will include:
- Day to day engagement with our users on social media (mainly Twitter, Facebook and Instagram). This includes publicising new reviews from the website, answering questions, and finding relevant content to share.
- Producing content for our website and social media platforms, including regular news articles & features.
- Producing external content about Euan’s Guide tailored to our partners’ requirements and occasional press publications – both on and offline.
- Helping produce regular newsletters for our reviewers, venues and partners – writing content and sourcing images.
- Supporting the team with the planning and delivery of online events designed to support our users and volunteers.
- Helping source content and engage with people using our new online forum.
- Working collaboratively with the team to proof content for web, print and publications.
- Engaging with our users – whether they are volunteer Ambassadors, Reviewers or Venues. You might be speaking to them about Red Cord Cards, donations or funding.
You might also find yourself occasionally moderating a review or two, getting involved in one of our events or helping with some admin.
Our intern roles are tailored to individual requirements so please tell us if there are any areas of Marketing & Communications you would like to focus on – there’s always loads to do so we’ll do our best to accommodate you!
Essential skills and experience:
- You should have an interest in, and understanding of, disabled access, inclusion and equality – or be willing to learn.
- A flair for writing, an interest in a good story and a desire to have your words published!
- Good communication skills and awareness of tailoring communications to different audiences or for different purposes.
- Good planning and organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise your workload and meet deadlines, with appropriate support.
- Good IT skills. Ideally the ability to use Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and video conferencing tools such as Zoom and collaboration tools such as Slack.
- Ability to use good judgement in knowing when to act independently to make decisions or solve problems, and when to seek further guidance or advice.
- Ability to work from home if required using tools such as Zoom and Slack and the ability to work effectively and flexibly as a member of a team.
- Have a clear need for the opportunity and be able to show how it will help you overcome barriers to achieving your career goals. (this is assessed in the sections motivation for applying, skills development, and current employment status.)
- Must define as Deaf or disabled which includes physical, sensory and mental impairments, autistic spectrum, learning disabilities, learning difficulties such as dyslexia or long term health conditions. (You do not need to give details in the supporting statement unless you wish to. If you do, this will not be removed from the application before the shortlisting panel sees it.)
If you would like to discuss this opportunity with the employer prior to submitting your application, please contact: Moira Tasker (Managing Director – Maternity Cover) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Completed applications to be forwarded by 10:00 am on Monday 8 February 2021 to: email@example.com
Job Description: Communications Assistant Internship with Euan’s Guide JD
Candidate Privacy Notice: 2.5 Internship Candidate privacy notice
Internship Application guidebook: Accessing-Work-Guidebook-PDF